Blog Archive

Friday, April 12, 2013

Oca - Oxalis Tuberosa - Lost Crop of the Incas

Oca - Oxalis Tuberosa
I have a few new things I am planting this year.  Oca is considered one of the lost plants of the Incas and is second to only the potato in root crops in some European countries.  I am planting about 5 different varieties of the Oca.  I planted three indoors and they have germinated and are doing well.  The others should be sprouting any day now.  You are supposed to harvest them about a month after the tops have died during the fall.  They can be cooked as tomatoes, added raw to salads, eaten in soups, or added to stir-fries.  I had a hard time finding a source for the tubers but I expect they will become more abundant in the future as permaculture continues its growth.  

No comments: