Blog Archive

Friday, April 19, 2013

Hearts-A-Bustin - Softwood Cuttings - Propagation


Hearts-A-Bustin

"You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted." Ruth E. Renkl

Hearts-A-Bustin is sometimes referred to as Ice Cream for Deer because it is supposedly there favorite plant to browse.  Are here the plant is somewhat hard to find because the deer population is so high.  I noticed this plant back last year at a nearby park so I went back a few days ago and took a few cuttings.  I took the cuttings at least 5 nodes back and trimmed the leaves off the first 3 nodes.  I then dipped the cuttings into glass of water and then into the rooting hormone.    This is my first time trying to propagate this plant so I will know in a few weeks how successful this project will be.   

On a side note, I ordered a few of these plants a few years ago and planted them on the edge of a field.  I didn't realize at the time that these plants do not do well in direct sunlight.  If you are able to get your hands on a few of these plants make sure you plant them in the shade.  I plan to install a chain link barrier around each shrub about 3 foot in diameter.  This will allow the deer to browse on them but not do enough damage to actually kill the plant.  

In addition to be a favorite food source for deer, they also have a wonderful fall color.  I will post a few pictures soon I took last fall of the flowers in bloom.   

No comments: